How to Make Oakgall Ink?
Recipe by Maydi Díaz from SundayScriptorium.
- 1 ounce of Oakgalls
- A small piece of natural linen + twine
- 12 ounces of Rainwater
- A 12 ounce glass jar (or larger)
- 1/4 ounce of powdered Iron 2 Sulfate
- 1/2 ounce of powdered Gum Arabic
- 1/2 ounce of White Vinegar
(Avoid the use of any metal. The acidic nature of this recipe may corrode it faster.)
- With a mortar and pestle, crush the oakgalls into small pieces.
- Wrap them in linen, gently tied with twine.
- Put the oakgall linen pouch in a sealed jar with the rainwater for 6-7 days. (I recommend the standard sized mason jar, but anything that seals will work.)
- Transfer to a pot and boil until the 12 ounces reduce to 8.
- Use cheesecloth to strain after boiling.
- Add the iron sulfate, gum arabic and vinegar and let it cool.
- Once the temperature has decreased, strain again before bottling and/or using your new ink.
Great lesson! Thank you!!!!