How to make madder extract?
How to make madder extract? Here is the recipe for making your own extract for natural dyeing!
Here is a basic recipe for making madder extract for natural dyeing:
- 100 g of madder root (Rubia tinctorum)
- 500 ml of water
- 2 tbsp of white wine vinegar or citric acid
- Clean and chop the madder root into small pieces.
- Put the madder root into a saucepan and add the water.
- Simmer the mixture over low heat for 1-2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Strain the mixture through a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth to remove the solids.
- Return the liquid to the saucepan and add the vinegar or citric acid.
- Simmer the mixture for an additional 15-20 minutes.
- Allow the mixture to cool, and then strain it again to remove any remaining solids.
- The resulting liquid is your madder extract and can be used as a dye bath for your fabric.
: The strength of the madder extract can vary depending on various factors, such as the quality and freshness of the madder root, the length of time it is simmered, and the addition of the vinegar or citric acid. You may need to experiment to determine the best method and proportions for your specific needs.